Smart Grid AdvancementsLowell Corporation
For years, utility companies and regulators have been talking about building “smart power grids.” But how do they work?
A smart power grid generally refers to computer-based remote control and automation. These systems are made possible by two-way communication technology and computer processing in a central server. They are beginning to pop up on electricity networks, power plants, and wind farms to consumers across the country. They offer many benefits to utilities and consumers — including significant efficiency improvements and delivery to homes and offices.
The Roadmap to Smart Power Grids
For a century, utility companies have had to send workers out to gather the data they need to provide electricity. These workers would read meters, look for broken equipment, and measure voltage. Most of the utility companies’ devices to deliver electricity have yet to be automated and computerized. Many options and products are available to the electricity industry to modernize it.
The “grid” refers to the networks that carry electricity from the plants to consumers. It includes wires, substations, transformers, switches, and much more.
How Do Smart Power Grids Work?
These grids function similarly to how a smartphone describes a phone with a computer. A smart grid involves “computerizing” the electric grid. It includes two-way digital communication to devices connected to the grid. Operators can give sensors to each device on the network to gather data on the utility’s network operations center. These devices might include power meters, voltage sensors, and fault detectors. The smart power grid’s key feature is automation technology that controls millions of devices from a central location.
The number of applications that operators can use is growing rapidly. Smart power grids provide enhanced cybersecurity, wind and solar compatibility, and even electric vehicle integration. The companies behind intelligent grid technology include big tech, established communication firms, and even state and local co-ops.
Maintaining the electric grid isn’t easy. No matter what the future holds in-store, Lowell Corporation is ready. We know that the country depends on the brave utility linemen who manage this power grid every day.
The Right Tools for the Job
You can find all of our transmission linemen wrenches on these pages:
- Firstly: 103 Triple Square Transmission Lineman’s Wrench
- Secondly: 104 Triple Square Transmission Lineman’s Wrench
- Thirdly: 105 Triple Square Transmission Lineman’s Wrench
- Fourthly: 52 Double Square Transmission Lineman’s Wrench
- Fifthly: 53 Double Square Transmission Lineman’s Wrench
- Finally: 152 Double Square Transmission Lineman’s Wrench
In addition, you’ll need to have necessary tools like pliers, screwdrivers, cutters, cable knives, ropes, and rulers. Critical safety equipment such as rubber gloves, leather protectors, steel-toed boots, nearby first-aid, and a hard hat are also must-haves. Typically, you carry all of these in your tool belt. Lowell’s business makes sure you have the right wrenches for the job every time.
Your Essential Hand Tools
When hanging on a utility pole, your toolkit needs to include every lineman speed wrench available. That’s where Lowell wrenches come in. For instance, a 4-in-1 wrench could be your substitute for multiple other wrenches. You save valuable time and the hassle of multiple trips up and down your work pole. Here’s a comprehensive list of the latest Lowell wrenches that can lighten your toolkit:
- Firstly: 50 Double Square Distribution Lineman Wrench
- Secondly: 50 Triple Square Distribution Lineman Wrench
- Thirdly: 51 Double Square Distribution Lineman Wrench
- Fourthly: 51 Triple Square Distribution Lineman Wrench
- Fifthly: 101 Triple Square Distribution Lineman Wrench
- Sixthly: 100 Triple Dual End Distribution Lineman Wrench
- Seventhly: 101 Triple Dual End Distribution Lineman Wrench
- Eighthly: 103 Triple Dual End Distribution Lineman Wrench
- Ninthly: 150 Double Square Distribution Lineman Wrench
- Tenthly: 150 Triple Square Distribution Lineman Wrench
- Eleventhly: 151 Double Square Distribution Lineman Wrench
- Twelfthly: 151 Triple Square Distribution Lineman Wrench
- Finally: 8D Quad Square Distribution Lineman Wrench
High-Quality Linemen Tools for a Brighter Future
Lowell Corporation offers the best hand tools in the energy industry. When you need a reliable wrench, you’ll want the right balance between cost and efficiency. Our custom hand tools make tough jobs easier with high-quality shaft key standards and keyway dimensions tolerance. We’ve been increasing productivity in construction, maintenance, and manufacturing operations since 1869. With our essential industrial crank handles, you get the backing of the most trusted name in the hand tool industry.
Lowell Corporation is proud to manufacture all of its tools in the heart of New England. All Lowell wrenches are 100% guaranteed with our one-year manufacturer warranty against defects in material and craft for one year from delivery.
You can also connect with us on Facebook for exciting updates on future products.