How to Use a Strap Wrench
Are you a lineman or waterworks engineer who needs the best hand tools for your daily work? If so, you’ve probably needed a strap wrench during your fieldwork.
Strap wrenches are one of the best tools to facilitate tough labor outdoors. In this blog, we’ll cover everything you need to know about using a strap wrench.
What Is a Strap Wrench?
A strap wrench functions as a flexible and all-purpose tool that holds and grips objects by tightening straps. The wrench head readily grips bolts or screws between its jaws. It utilizes the tension of rubber or polyester to render holding and gripping functions without causing any damage or scratches to the objects.
It also prevents the objects from slipping by utilizing friction. Usually, strap wrenches come with handles for firm gripping. However, if your wrench doesn’t have a handle, you may use it with the square drive present on ratchet wrenches. A good thing about a strap wrench is that it comes with a rubber belt. Therefore, the wrenches are unlikely to inflict wear and tear losses on the rest of your equipment.
Features of a Strap Wrench
All the quality wrenches come equipped with helpful features. Here are various specs and features of the strap wrench that makes it highly functional:
- It has industrial strength
- Features a self-locking strap
- Easy and highly convenient to use
- Requires limited manual power or hand strength
- Adaptable and flexible to any shape
- Easy to use on delicate surfaces or objects
- Ideal for irregularly shaped objects
- Minimal wear and tear to objects and surfaces
- Non-slip firm grip
- Light in weight
- You can use them around the house for basic tasks
- Excellent for water filters, pipes, tub spouts, shower arms, etc.
Linemen need tough wrenches that can withstand the test of time. Lowell can make your utility work easier.
Residential Applications of a Strap Wrench
Your toolbox is brimming with so many tools. Some of them might attract your attention right away. A strap wrench might not seem like an essential tool at first. However, strap wrenches have tons of applications. We’ve mentioned some of these household applications of strap wrenches below:
Home Renovation Projects
Strap wrenches make home renovation projects extremely easy. With a strap wrench in your hand, it can help you get out of complex situations while fixing something. Furthermore, the best part is there are zero to minimal chances of any damage or wear and tears.
If you are stuck in some kitchen tasks, especially while removing lids from jars, strap wrenches prove extra handy. The best part is that you don’t have to apply much force, which makes it convenient.
Other Household Tasks
You may employ strap wrenches for pretty much all other everyday tasks at your home or technical spaces. You may use these wrenches for fixing pipes, knobs, and cylindrical items. You may also use strap wrenches for loosening, tightening, and removing objects.
Step-By-Step Strap Wrench Instructions
We have a detailed guide on how to use a strap wrench. You may follow the following steps discussed in detail to use a strap wrench for your basic project needs:
- Firstly, take the object you will employ to loosen or tighten. Once you have the thing in your hands, take the rubber straps to loop them around your object.
- Secondly, you might also find a manual book with your strap wrench that has all the necessary instructions and guidelines which will assist you in tightening and loosening the object. With its help, you may adjust the wrench according to the size of your object.
- Thirdly, to adjust the size of your object, you need to pull the strap to hold it right in place tightly. As you pull the straps tightly, some ridges adjust along the wrench to keep it all together.
- Fourthly, after adjusting the wrench, take hold of the handle on the strap. Ensure that you have a strong grip on the handle. A firm grip ensures that the object can twist, tighten, or loosen in the right direction.
- Fifthly, while tackling the handle, you might feel the strap slipping off. However, you might easily replace wrenches and continue with your procedure.
- Lastly, you may apply oil or grease in the area of the object you are using the strap wrench on. This step will enable you to twist off your object more easily.
Tips For Maintaining Lineman Tools
Now that we’ve established how to find the best lineman tools, the next step is maintenance. Here are some tips on how to keep your tools in proper working condition for years to come.
1) Read The Instruction Manual: Every piece of equipment has a standard operating procedure. Save yours to refer back to it during cleaning and inspection.
2) Use the Right Tool for the Job: One of the easiest ways to preserve your lineman tools is to use them only for the right specialized tasks.
3) Inspect Your Toolkit Regularly: Before you use your lineman tools, always check for any defects or issues that may render the tool unsafe for use.
4) Keep Them Clean: Dirt and grime can cause damage to your lineman tools quickly and make them not function properly. Always keep them clean and dry.
Ready to save time and money on your linemen tools?
The Best Lineman Tools Since 1869
Lowell Corporation offers the best hand tools in the industry. Whether you need a strap wrench or a socket wrench, you’ll want the right balance between cost and efficiency. Our custom hand tools make tough jobs easier with waterworks engineers and lineman tools. We’ve’ been increasing productivity in construction, maintenance, and manufacturing operations since 1869. So let our waterworks and lineman wrench technology simplify your workload. With our essential power linemen hand tools, you get the backing of the most trusted name in the hand tool industry.
Above all, Lowell Corporation is proud to manufacture all of its lineman tools right here in the U.S.A. in the heart of New England. All Lowell wrenches are 100% guaranteed with our one-year manufacturer warranty against defects in material and craft for one year from the date of delivery.
Make sure to follow us on Instagram for exciting product updates and promotions!