What Does an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Do?Lowell Corporation
An Original Equipment Manufacturer, usually known as OEM, is a firm that creates parts and components to create finished goods. These parts are normally essential to the production process. OEMs can acquire parts from other suppliers or manufacturers and incorporate them into their manufacturing or produce sub-assemblies that are then sold to other companies using them to make completed products.
OEMs significantly impact the supply chain, helping ensure products get produced as effectively as possible and meet all required industry standards. Their contribution to industrial motion control is invaluable.
Learn about the crucial role of Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) in the manufacturing industry. Discover what OEM companies do, the benefits of working with an effective OEM, and how they can provide essential components and expertise to produce high-quality finished goods.
What is an Original Equipment Manufacturer?
OEMs produce components or parts for use in the manufacture of finished goods. They provide these components to other companies, known as value-added resellers (VARs), who integrate them into their production processes.
Original Equipment Manufacturers offer a range of products and services, including manufacturing parts and sub-assemblies, sourcing components from other suppliers or manufacturers, and designing or developing custom components. The products and services offered by OEMs meet their client’s specific needs and requirements – ensuring that the final product is of high quality.
OEMs play a unique role in the supply chain compared to other manufacturers. They bridge the gap between component suppliers and finished product manufacturers. With their manufacturing expertise and ability to provide high-quality components and services, OEM tools are essential investments for businesses seeking to improve their competitiveness and achieve long-term success.
Looking for high-quality OEM parts?
We’ve got you covered.
What Services Do OEM Companies Provide?
OEM companies are an invaluable asset to the manufacturing process as they offer various services that ensure the delivery of top-notch finished products. These services include:
- Collaborating with highly competent designers guarantees that the components are robust and effective. This team-up ensures that OEMs can offer guidance when it comes to product design and ultimately deliver a result that is manufacturable
- Manufacturing of sub-parts that their customers may use in their manufacturing procedure
- OEMs also offer sourcing services that help companies to identify cost-efficient procurement options
- They ensure that project management aligns with the contractual obligations and its efficient execution.
By leveraging the expertise and resources of OEMs, design engineers or managers at manufacturing companies improve the efficiency of their supply chain and increase the quality of their finished goods, making them more competitive in the market.
Top Benefits of Working with An Effective Original Equipment Manufacturer
Working with an effective OEM can provide numerous benefits to businesses. Some of which are:
- OEMs have access to specialized technology and expertise that can help companies to create high-quality goods more efficiently and cost-effectively. This often results in improved profit margins.
- Companies that work with an effective OEM retain all trademarks and intellectual property rights related to the design and items they produce. This ensures their designs and products remain completely safeguarded.
- OEMs have the experience to consistently produce components and sub-assemblies that meet the highest standards for quality and performance. This way, businesses avoid costly defects and delays in the production process.
- By incorporating industrial motion control systems, OEMs increase their competitiveness and provide their customers with optimized production.
- OEM can help companies reduce overhead costs, such as those associated with procurement, project management, and quality control. By relying on an OEM to handle these tasks, companies focus their resources on other business areas requiring more attention.
- Using advanced equipment and OEM tools like socket sets speeds up the production process, ensuring that components get delivered on time. This allows businesses to produce their finished products more quickly and get them to market faster.
These benefits make working with OEMs a smart investment for businesses looking to improve their operations and increase their bottom line.
Engineers need tough machines that can withstand the test of time. Trust Lowell to make your manufacturing easier.
How to Improve Your OEM Manufacturing
Manufacturing companies often face situations like a lack of specifications which can be highly demotivating. It is best to prepare for any possible scenarios by implementing proactive steps.
- Develop functional descriptions to ensure everyone involved in the production process understands your expectations. Laid-out instructions can outline a project’s objectives while ensuring that all small aspects necessary to meet those goals get considered. This will reduce the risk of misunderstandings and errors.
- Implement effective project management software. Project management software can be instrumental in keeping the production process organized, helping teams collaborate effectively toward a unified goal, and mitigating the risk of delays or any other issues. By automating key tasks and managing information, such software can help to improve the overall efficiency and quality of OEM manufacturing.
- Get trusted suppliers for OEM and industrial motion control. It is important to assess the reliability and consistency of the suppliers you are considering. Look at their production capacity, lead times, and delivery schedules. Also, consider their quality control procedures and their ability to meet the standards and specifications that you require for your products.
- Implement Lean manufacturing methods. Lean manufacturing is a continuous improvement methodology focused on maximizing value and minimizing waste. It involves a systematic approach to identifying and eliminating inefficiencies in the production process. By implementing lean manufacturing methods, organizations can achieve higher levels of efficiency, lower costs, and overall improved product quality.
OEM companies play a crucial role in manufacturing by providing components and services to other businesses. They offer a range of benefits, including cost savings, reliable quality, and specialized technology, among others. By working with an effective OEM, manufacturing companies improve their processes and achieve better business outcomes.
Companies can pursue lean manufacturing strategies and pick dependable vendors to enhance their production processes further. This would help them increase efficiency, reduce costs and bolster quality.
Ready to save time and money on
your OEM parts?
The Best Industrial OEM Tools Since 1869
Lowell Corporation offers the best industrial tools in the industry. Whether you need a hydrant wrench or a wheel wrench, your company deserves the right balance between cost and efficiency. Our custom hand tools make tough jobs easier for design engineers, waterworks engineers, and utility linemen. We’re proud to distribute lineman tools with J.L. Matthews to help linemen nationwide.
We’ve been increasing construction, maintenance, and manufacturing productivity since 1869. Let our trusted socket-wrench innovations simplify your workload no matter which socket set you need. With our essential industrial OEM tools, you get the backing of the most trusted name in the hand tool industry.
Lowell Corporation is proud to manufacture all of our lineman tools in the USA in the heart of New England. All Lowell wrenches are 100% guaranteed with our one-year manufacturer warranty against defects in material and craft for one year from delivery.
Make sure to follow us on Instagram for exciting product updates and promotions!